Gearing Back Up
Between teaching on the other campus and taking a little vacation, I have been letting the colonies coast for a few months. The second generation of E. clarki have not been growing particularly quickly, so I have not seen eggs in quite some time.
It is time to get more serious for the fall. I got some new Bryopsis from Justin to refresh the stuff that has been growing in the tank for months. The good news for him, but not so much for me, is that he is finally defeating Bryopsis in his >500 gallon system, and it has dwindled to very little. Unfortunately, that means I will not have a backup supply if the current crop starts to die off.
More importantly, the newest infusion of broodstock arrived from KP Aquatics yesterday. I ordered 3 new E. clarki for the office and 3 E. crispata for home, plus about 20 Penicillus to try to stay ahead of their appetites.
The clarki have settled in, and are looking happy.
As always, the good folks at KP threw in a few extras, including this presumed E. papillosa. By the time I arrived this morning, she had already laid eggs.
In the ongoing effort to reduce the amphipod population, I am trying a pair of pikeblennies in the growout tank. The idea was that they would make a dent in the amphipods, then I would move them to Box of Slugs 2, at home, to be able to enjoy them more. Given their shyness and speed, I am now a bit dubious that I will ever be able to catch them. One is considerably larger and more colorful, and they have not tried to kill one another yet, so I am thinking they may be a male-female pair. They are so interesting to watch, like tiny snakes hunting in the undergrowth, that I am very much enamored with them. With a little time, I hope they settle down and let themselves be photographed in more flattering poses.
When possible, I will post photos of the pretty new E. crispata.